The General Healthcare System (GHS) covers the provision of healthcare services by personal doctors to both adults and children.
1. Personal doctors for adults
Doctors who choose to conclude a contract with the HIO as PDs for adults, i.e. beneficiaries who have attained the age of fifteen (15), must fall within one of the following categories:
- Doctors specialised in general medicine
- Doctors specialized in pathology
- Doctors specialised in geriatrics, for beneficiaries who have attained the age of sixty-five (65)
- Doctors with special training in general medicine that has been approved by the Cyprus Medical Council by virtue of the Doctors Registration Law
- Doctors who wold a certificate confirming the right to practice the activities of a general practitioner under the Regulation 8F, paragraph 2 and 3 of the Medical Doctor Regulation 2009
2. Personal doctors for children
Doctors who wish to offer healthcare services as personal doctors for children, i.e. for beneficiaries up to the age of eighteen (18) must be specialised in Paediatrics.
All the doctors who wish to offer healthcare services as personal doctors under the GHS must comply with the provisions of the GHS Law and the Regulations, internal regulations and Decisions issued thereof.